Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Story Behind My (NEW!) Old Lubitel 2 - Part 1

It was a rainy day, as a part of an amazing trip to the Photojournalism Festival (Visa Pour l'Image) in Perpignan, South of France. we went to visit the local flea market.
While walking around the market, I couldn't believe when i saw a man selling old cameras and one of them was an old Russian Lubitel 2 which i was looking for long time ago.
After checking the camera, and all its main and important parts, i couldn't resist and bought it, especially when it costs only 20 euro . haha...


My own Lubitel 2


I realized it would be a waste not to test my camera while staying in France.
So when i came back to Paris i bought a 120 film, which was originally the only kind of film that works with this kind of camera, and tried my camera when i went to visit the latest exhibition in château de Versailles "Venet à Versailles" where i took some photos.
While walking around the palace i tried to understand how to use the camera as I've never used one of those before.
The hardest part for me was to understand how to focus the lens.
anyway, those are the results from there...
for this session i used Fuji Pro 160S 120

Château de Versailles
Château de Versailles

château de Versailles

Château de Versailles
Château de Versailles
When I returned home, i eventually understood how to focus the lens correctly and by myself  :)
I took the camera for some more spontaneous city walks sessions and at the same time, tried some new kinds of cameras films.
I found that the photos quality of the Lubitel 2 is very unique, it has a beautiful vintage look which really gives the photos a special atmosphere.

For those sessions i used: Lomography Color Negative 100 120 and Fujicolor Reala 120

 



 One of the unique things you can do with those kind of films (the 120) is taking photos with more than one exposure photos, here are few examples:



For all the lucky people who has the chance to hold one of those cameras, I highly recommend to stay open to all kind of films, mainly because you can never know which film will be your favorite until you try them all, every film has its own garishness, colorfulness and aesthetic.
Though it's nearly impossible to do that, try your best : )

To be continue...

1 comment: